Student Case Competition
Gamma lota Sigma Presents …
The Future of Insurance Case Study Competition
Sponsored by Deloitte
The 2022 Global Insurance Symposium (GIS), in partnership with Gamma lota Sigma, is pleased to present the Future of Insurance Case Study Competition. At the 2022 Symposium, we will be exploring what our industry will look like in the future, both at a global level and for individual roles—and we want to hear what you think!
The purpose of the competition is to encourage students to showcase their talents and earn the opportunity to network with peers and industry leaders at the Symposium in Des Moines, Iowa, April 19–21, 2022.
The Future of Insurance Case Study Competition is proud to have Deloitte as a sponsor.
How It Works
- University teams of 2–4 will put together a case study about what they believe the insurance industry will look like in 2030 and beyond. The competition is open to all students in Gamma lota Sigma chapters across the United States.
- Teams should submit a video as their application to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 11, 2022.
- Three finalist teams will be announced on March 25, 2022, and invited to present their case in person at the 2022 Symposium.
- Finalist teams will attend the Symposium in Des Moines on April 19–21 and present their case in front of the entire audience.
- Travel, hotel and cash prizes will be awarded to all three finalist teams.*
- The Symposium audience will vote to select the best case presented, with $1,000 awarded to the team with the most votes, $750 to the second-place team and $500 to the third-place team.
If you have questions about this competition, please contact email@example.com.
- March 11: Video submissions due
- March 25: Top three teams announced
- April 20: Top three teams present their case study at the Symposium
Learn more about the 2022 Global Insurance Symposium, a premier industry event, at GlobalInsuranceSymposium.com.
*Travel and hotel arrangements will be made by ITA Group.
Student Case Competition Frequently Asked Questions
Who can compete/submit a video for this case competition?
Teams of 2–4 that are part of a Gamma Iota Sigma Chapter.
- A Chapter may submit videos from more than one team.
- A student cannot be part of more than one team/submission.
Is the case completion open to any major?
Yes! The only requirement is membership in Gamma Iota Sigma.
How will the case competition be judged?
There will be two “judging events”:
- First, three finalist teams will be selected based on video submissions:
- Videos will be judged by a committee comprised of leaders from Gamma Iota Sigma and the Global Insurance Symposium.
- Criteria will include quality of the vision for the “future of insurance,” originality/creativity, and use of industry trend analysis/data.
- Secondly, 2022 Global Insurance Symposium audience members will vote for the favorite presentation.\
- The team with the most votes will receive 1st place.
- The team with the second most votes will receive 2nd place.
- The team with the fewest votes will receive 3rd place.
How do you define the “Future of Insurance” for the case competition?
Unlike many case competitions where there is a specific problem and data set to prepare a solution from, this is an open-ended challenge to think about the future of the insurance industry or a subset of such.
- Teams may take a global view, explore one line of business (Property & Casualty, Life, Health or even more specific to auto, workers compensation, cyber or new risks), look at how insurance will be purchased/ leveraged in the future, etc.
- Teams are encouraged to look at where their focal point of the industry is today and extrapolate (using data where possible) what that future might look like.
How long should video submissions be?
No more than 7 minutes.
What format should videos be (MP4, MOV, WMV or link to online source/player)?
We recommend recording over Zoom but welcome more creative approaches as well.
What, if any, content should be shared on the video?
Teams should include an introduction with the name of their university/ location of their Gamma Iota Sigma chapter, the team member names, majors and year of study.
- Use of presentation slides, visuals or other content is optional but encouraged.
- Keep in mind that the final presentation for the Finalists at the Symposium should include a presentation/content.
What is the format for the Finalists’ presentations at the Symposium?
Each of the three Finalist teams will have up to 10 minutes to present their vision of the Future of Insurance on the Main Stage of the Symposium
What do the three Finalist teams get?
- Registration for up to 4 team members to attend the Global Insurance Symposium in Des Moines, Iowa April 19-21
- Opportunity to present to 400+ insurance leaders at the Symposium
- Special networking opportunities with insurance leaders, CEOs and regulators
- Guaranteed cash prizes: $1,000 to the 1st place team, $750 to the 2nd place team and $500 to the 3rd place team (checks will be made out to the sponsoring Gamma Iota Sigma Chapter for distribution)
- Travel: Flights for up to 4 team members OR mileage reimbursement*
- Lodging: Hotel rooms for up to 4 team members*
* All travel will be coordinated by ITA Group.
Can we attend the Global Insurance Symposium even if we’re not part of a Finalist Team?
Yes! The Symposium offers a special registration rate of only $40 to attend (a $595 value). Find more information on this site.